Listening to a talk about the Harvest Home festival in the West.
In the United States, the ancient harvest festivals of Europe helped give rise to contemporary Thanksgiving Day celebration. In parts of Germany, people march to harvest festivals carrying a harvest crown similar to the corn dolly. In France, some communities celebrate the end of the grape-picking season by holding harvest feasts.
1.Ancient people offered the year’s first ripe grains to the gods in thanks for the crops that would sustain their communities for the coming year.
2.Customarily, participants in the feast would make a corn dolly, a symbolic or decorative figure made of straw.
States commemorate important events:
1) In Vermont, the Battle of Bennington is commemorated annually on August 16
2) In Louisiana, the Battle of New Orleans of the War of 1812 is commemorated on January 8
3) Patriot’s Day, commemorating the first battle of the American Revolution, is celebrated on or about April 19 in Massachusetts and Maine
4) Several southern states celebrate a confederate Memorial Day on different days in the spring.
1. Holiday refers to the day set apart for religious observance or for the commemoration of some extraordinary event or distinguished person.
2.Holidays are characterized by a partial or totally stoppage of work and normal business activities and are generally accompanied by public and private ceremonies, including feasting, parades and carnivals, or displays of flags and speechmaking.
be accompanied by 由某人陪伴/由某事伴随
He was accompanied by his wife.
Strong winds accompanied by heavy rain.
3. Subsequently, secular holidays commemorating historical occasions or distinguished persons outnumbered holy days, although many ancient religious rituals and customs have been carried over into modern times and incorporated into both secular and religious observations.
1) outnumber 总数上超过
The demonstrators were outnumbered by the police.
2) incorporate 将某事物包含进去，包含
Many of your suggestions have been incorporated in the new plans.
A company incorporated in the USA 在美国新组建的公司